Re: Orlanthi Boasting

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2006 10:21:11 +0000 (GMT)

So this is intended as general celebration among people who already know them, rather than the introduction by means of an oral CV that's Greg's described?

It's still surprisingly hard to find examples of either, but I'd suggest reading some of the Griselda stories for examples of Orlanthi warriors describing their adventures to their friends.

Non-Gloranthan but in the right sort of vein, Beowulf has already been mentioned, and try the Red Branch sagas. The Cooley Cattle raid, for instance. Here's the first web version that Google found me: http://departments.vassar.edu/~sttaylor/Cooley/

and it starts with Ailill and Medb boasting to each other about who was the richest before their marriage. Sadly the rest, while a great story, is mainly third-person rather than first person in descriptions, which isn't quite what you want.