Re: Re: Orlanthi Boasting

From: Greg Stafford <Greg_at_...>
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2006 09:20:28 -0800

ygwv

Quoting Sam Elliot <sam.elliot1_at_...>:

> In my opinion, to say that boasting is done in a scrupulously honest
> fashion in Glorantha is to say that these are very different human
> beings from the sort we know (and in an uninteresting way). Not sure
> Greg is saying that, but...

I am trying to denote the difference between boasting and bragging, between stating who you are and lieing about it.

Simple statement:
"Hello, I'm Greg, and I've been a game designer for thirty years." verus
a proud statement:
"I am Greg, and I've written or co-designed five published roleplaying games, four board games, one miniatures game and one computer game." versus a flowery statement
"Greetings, friends. I am Greg, a designer of roleplaying games that have brought delight and agony to thousands, and have fed and clothed my children with the proceeds."
versus exaggeration
"I'm Greg, the best damn game designer in the world, and there has never been a game designers as good as I am." versus BS
"I'm Greg, and I invented the real art of roleplaying, back when others were just rolling dice, I invented roles and made the industry what it is today."

> IŽd agree also that people would expect inflation and would admire
> most the person who sticks closest to the truth and makes it sound
> best.

Yes, of course.
But one can not lie and expect to get away with it. Furthermore, where and when a statement is made has an effect. If I'm in my home clan territory plenty of joshing and exaggeration might be acceptable, even as a form of entertainment. But the same words would earn a bad reputation outside the stead.

"I'm Hargar, and I'm the whoopen'ist and ass-kickin'ist fighter you'll ever see. Why, when those Lunar see me comin' they call out the reserves--"it's Hargar the Army! they cry" and send out for some clean nappies for the priest."

Sincerely,
Greg Stafford

Issaries, Inc.
c/o Greg Stafford