Re: A hopefully quick Sartar Yelmalio question.

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2007 17:08:21 +0000 (GMT)

> A quick reference question. It is probably in the
> books somewhere,
> but we recently moved and my game materials are
> still in a box somewhere.

Should it help, the book you almost certainly want to dig out is King of Sartar. If that happens to be near the top of a box, it's your lucky day.

> What tribe or tribes occupied the Amber Flats before
> they were given to the Yelmalio?

> - Were the tribes compensated with land elsewhere
> for what was lost
> (i.e. were tribes shifted around, compressing where
> they lost clans or large number to the Yelmalio).

I'm not convinced that much detail was ever given in "official" material, though someone else may well have created it since.

Let me skim KoS for you and see if any brief quotes will shed enlightenment.
We're looking at Tarkalor "Troll-killer", before he became Prince.
CHDP:
"Tarkalor brought peace with the sun worshipers at last. He gratified the Elmal worshipers by seizing new territory, and then granting it to them for their own rule. In this way a new tribe was founded at the borders of Sartar, between the trolls and the beastfolk. They called themselves the Sun Dome Temple."

Concise and to the point, but doesn't answer your question.

"Making Gods" is the section you want. Far too big to quote in full here, but I think this extract covers what you're after.

"Tarkalor... was looking for a way to make a name for himself, and had been dragged into a feud with Kitori clans. He sought allies among the enemies of his father, and promised the disgruntled Elmali that they could have their own lands, and the chance to make their own rules, if they would help him in his task against darkness. They did, and as a result of their powers the Kitori were smashed, and their survivors ran away into the waste places. The conquered lands were divided among the victors. The best were given back to the beastmen, and the rest to humans. The Volsaxi tribe was begun, and the Sun Dome Temple too."

The other interesting bit is that the first "Son of Yelmalio" (Count?) was one Monrogh, of the Running Fox Clan. Lots of details of his HQ to find Yelmalio as distinct from Elmal are given in this article, but that's of theological rather than political importance. What may be of interest to you are the links between Monrogh, the Pavis Sun County, and the Karandoli clan of the Colymar that we came up with as part of the Secret History.

http://www.jane-williams.me.uk/glorantha/sc/sc_sh_02.cfm

Also, I find it interesting that this is how the Volsaxi were founded. Much, much later, according to CHDP it's the displaced Kitori who manage to kill Broyan (of the Volsaxi). Might be coincidence, might be long-delayed revenge.