Re: What's a Keyword?

From: L.Castellucci <lightcastle_at_...>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 15:34:42 -0500

On January 12, 2007 09:32 am, Mike Holmes wrote:

> Yeah, I'd go so far as to allow simply types in some cases, as I mentioned
> to Jane. Just so long as it's not a unique description. The problem with a
> unique description is that you can argue in everything.

Indeed, as one player I had who was playing an assassin kept trying to do.

> Obviously this is too character specific.

Yup. I did allow some tailoring for the type of Lunar assassin she was, but she kept trying to put EVERYTHING under her keyword.

> Where it becomes hard to figure out whether to draw the line is with things
> like this:
>
> "Well, my character, in being a diplomat, has had to learn several
> languages."

Exactly. She was the kind of assassin who would be sent into court to blend in, so she COULD justify lots of things.

> I mean, the traveler keyword is tailored to the languages and cultures that
> the character has actually encountered. So it seems that some sorts of
> keywords can be tailored to this level. So do you allow it?

> I go back and forth at this level. Basically I try to ensure that the
> player is trying to use some criteria themselves for what goes in, and what
> does not.

Exactly. I've also gone with broad skills that take improv penalties for this kind of thing. Never perfect, but it has worked ok.