What's a Keyword?

From: Mike Holmes <mike_c_holmes_at_...>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 08:32:22 -0600

>From: "L.Castellucci" <lightcastle_at_...>
>
>Yeah, this is pretty much the way I've done it. If it makes sense as an
>archetype description of some kind, then I'll probably let it go keyword.
>Otherwise not.

Yeah, I'd go so far as to allow simply types in some cases, as I mentioned to Jane. Just so long as it's not a unique description. The problem with a unique description is that you can argue in everything.

"Well, see, my character happened to be working as a soldier when he learned to paint. See, each soldier has some off-time, and many learn hobbies with that time. So that hobby comes under the keyword, see."

Obviously this is too character specific.

Where it becomes hard to figure out whether to draw the line is with things like this:

"Well, my character, in being a diplomat, has had to learn several languages."

I mean, the traveler keyword is tailored to the languages and cultures that the character has actually encountered. So it seems that some sorts of keywords can be tailored to this level. So do you allow it?

I go back and forth at this level. Basically I try to ensure that the player is trying to use some criteria themselves for what goes in, and what does not.

Mike

Communicate instantly! Use your Hotmail address to sign into Windows Live Messenger now. http://get.live.com/messenger/overview