Re: What's a Keyword? Gender Issues

From: Trotsky <TTrotsky_at_...>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 22:49:53 +0000

Donald:

> I'd agree that upper class DH women are very unlikely
> to even learn how to use a dagger but in the rougher
> parts of the cities I'm sure many woman learn to use
> a knife or dagger for self defence.

It may well be that 'many' do... but a cultural keyword (at least, as I use and understand them) is about what 'almost everyone' does, which isn't quite the same thing. I don't think this applies in Dara Happa, but YGWV, of course. But just because something would be useful to a member of a profession/culture/group does not necessarily mean that it is universal enough to belong in their cultural keyword.

--
Trotsky
Gamer and Skeptic