Re: Re: What's a Keyword? Gender Issues

From: Roderick Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 20:20:39 -0800

>> Err, yes Greg, that's what I said... The Bison prohibitions trump the
>> Occupational abilities. (But note that the abilities start at 6, not 0 -
>> they just aren't taught, not "can't do it even if they wanted to").
>
> No, the intent was to start a Swimming = 0, not 6.

Well, that's not what made it into the rules...

> Praxians don't have enough water to learn to swim.

But swimming is an (almost) instinctual thing - if just doing the dog paddle to keep the head above water - I would never reduce Swim or other "normal human ability"* to 0 without a *really* strong reason - more than "just" lack of opportunity. Maybe it makes sense for Mostali ("Sink like a stone" comes to mind), or Agimori (Water beats Fire), but I'd count "Swim" as just another ability that many people don't have at high levels, but do have the "Natural 6" in.

*Strong, Ice Skate, Drive Car, etc., etc., etc.

*To Me* a "0" ability indicates one that a normal person can *never* do, such as Fly or Breathe Water or See Through Solid Stone, without special help (magic, technology, whatever).

RR