Re: Advice on Default Levels and Automatic Defeats

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 17:34:11 +0000 (GMT)

> >From: Greg Stafford <Greg_at_...>
> >
> >No, the intent was to start a Swimming = 0, not 6.
> >Praxians don't have enough water to learn to swim.

> So, in other words, if they attempt to swim, it's an
> automatic defeat. Per
> the modifiers rule that states that if a total is
> below zero, that it's an automatic defeat.
> As opposed to it being merely unlikely due to being
> untrained.

Though the latter sounds more appropriate.

> That is,
> humans tend to have Fly 0, and Run 6. Every human
> learns to run, even if
> it's not culturally important, or part of their
> occupation, etc. Outside of magic, they simply can't
fly.

But they can learn to swim, without magic, given the opportunity. A non-swimmer chucked into deep water may well figure out enough of the basics to survive. Most people (not all) can float naturally. The same does not apply to flight :(

It sounds more as if Praxian swim starts at 0 (or 1?), but they can buy the skill later, just as they could buy learning to read. If chucked into the river today, hope they roll a 1.

Flying, however, is stuck at 0, and as you say, augments will not improve changes of success. We neeed some better way of distinguishing between the two states, but the Rules list may be more appropriate.

New Yahoo! Mail is the ultimate force in competitive emailing. Find out more at the Yahoo! Mail Championships. Plus: play games and win prizes. http://uk.rd.yahoo.com/evt=44106/*http://mail.yahoo.net/uk