Re: Re: What's a Keyword? Gender Issues

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2007 19:57:59 +0000 (GMT)

> >...Though
> >there may be the assumption that a woman, even with
> >dagger or knife, *can't* use it so as to resist a
> man.
>
> Sounds like a horrific flaw to the "Female Dara
> Happan" homeland keyword.

It does, but it's also a realistic mental attitude for a society of that type. And it's a HUGE flaw to any male with that mental assumption, facing a female opponent. Believe me, I know :))))

> Do we have to state at this point that, though women
> may occasionally like
> to play disadvantaged characters overcoming their
> male dominated socieites,
> that near universally that women don't like to play
> this sort of character "all the time" ?

There may be some people somewhere to whom this is not obvious, yes, surprising though it seems. I seem to remember the last time we discussed this, people telling me I should enjoy the interesting challenge. And no, in case it isn't obvious, facing the same "challenge" in every single game, even if it was interesting in the first place, would be boring. When it's the same challenge we're already stuck with in real life, "boring" is not the word.

> In other words, when making up female keywords, try
> to focus on the
> positive, and not on how they're downtrodden to
> provide at least a few
> options for women (or men) who want to play
> empowered female characters.

Jut skip the "downtrodden" bit completely. It doesn't add a thing, only takes options away. The Orlanthi way is great: here's the norm, and if you want to be different, fine. I haven't yet got a "feel" for how the Lunar way works in that sense, but the overall concept is promising. Or if you really want one of these invented societies to pick on one sub-group and oppress it, use a different set of criteria: maybe they discriminate by hair colour? (Pent!)

All New Yahoo! Mail � Tired of unwanted email come-ons? Let our SpamGuard protect you. http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html