Re: Kalikos and the Icebreaker Quest

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 07:47:41 +0000 (GMT)

> What can anyone tell me about the Icebreaker
> Quest? We need to know this to work it into an
> upcoming game. I know ... basically, what's in Life
of Moonson),

> What we have decided was a strong possibility is
> that Kalikos was actually a Vingan. ..

The best I can find you is KoS p35, towards the end of the Saga. Argrath and friends decide to go and have a go at Kalikos. Of course, being the Saga, it probably isn't all that accurate.

Argrath tries to find the house of Kalikos on the heroplane, but it's moved from its old spaces. "They did not find it, for the Two-half bears delayed them and slew Harmast". The placing of that hyphen is interesting!

On the glacier they find a woman, "Fankrios Unlaba", frozen in the ice. She takes them to her leader, Hend Valindsson, "an old hero who was bound to this fight". Argrath takes his place in the fight, and beats up the Lunar heroine who arrives. "Inandana Daughtersdotter". Female.

Then they go onto stage 2, Hend and Fankrious lead Argrath to the Palace of Kalikos, concealed in the underworld. The Trickster finds a crack they can get in by. The palace is described as "the bright star palace", which seems odd for somewhere in the Underworld to me. And there's a fight, and they win (yawn).

I'm not sure what if anything that does to your theory, but it gives you some more links and names to play with.

A footnote tells us that Kalikos has his home in a star which rose above the horizon each winter. I'm prety sure there's more on this somewhere, and no doubt one of the star experts around here will tell us the details.