Re: Need ideas for The End of The World

From: Sam Elliot <sam.elliot1_at_...>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 17:37:38 -0000

> I hate having my view of myself as a maverick rebel so easily
destroyed is all. :-)

LOL.
> [snipped origin of pixel-bitch]
> That's great! And yeah, that happens in tabletop RPGs as well.

...there are actually some interesting threads on this and similar topics on rpg.net at the mo. Some of it is, I think, triggered by Robin Lawsī new game.

> I've had games grind to a halt while players tried to figure out
what the GM wanted them to do.

I seem to recall this as fairly standard when I was at school.

> Oh yes. I have become a big fan of the "it's not did you get the
MacGuffin,
> it's if you got it without causing yourself more problems"
approach.

Oh...itīs MacGuffin, not McGuffin, is it? You maverick you. Youīre way out on your own on this one, you are.

(Feel better now?)

> For things like detective work, it's great. Don't make the contest
about finding the clues, make the contest about interpreting the clues quickly and accurately enough. (i.e. - "don't pixel-bitch the clues")

Yes and no - the alternative strategy (see the rpg.net thread if itīs still findable) is that it doesnīt matter two hoots what the right answer is. I am sure that mystery writers get a LOT of help from editors - a GM doesnīt so his/her solution is likely to be obscure. The players come up with a solution to the mystery which is different from the GMīs - go with it. Deprotagonize the Plot, letīs say.

I still think, personally, that Frank is too attached to the idea that the KoW is not defeatable militarily. If the players decide

they want to take a military approach, the game is in trouble. Big,
huge resistances in the numbers, sure, but...the game isnīt about
teaching your friends that War is Bad, I am sure. Anyway, I can
commment more on that if necessary.

> My word. KDoaH facing off with his mom. That's a great image.
(Even if, in my view, it probably ends badly for everyone.)

Two of the best things, to my mind, to emerge from HeroWars (as it was back then) are the Ernaldan There is Another Way stuff and the empowerment of those Ernaldan types with the ability to scold the big tough hero. As abilities, as contests, I mean. I think those things encapsulate what the game is about.

Sam.