Re: Re: Need ideas for The End of The World

From: Roderick Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 11:42:13 -0800

Well the GLS as explained in the Second Age book seems to be something like that. It just says "they can punch through to the God Plane and make real changes". Which is, after all, something I thought everyone can do with a Hero Quest if they get to the God Plane.

Well, it is something everyone *may* do, but not everyone *can* do. The power needed is ... well, a lot. God-like levels. The greater the god you try to mess with, the more power you need - ability ratings of the primary participants, and support from "back home". Plus you need to know the myths *really* well.

As it notes in the "Heroquest moment" section of the main rulebook (Page 202), "...recognition and substitution is a very slippery aspect of heroquesting". Part of the Godlearner (little-s) secret is visiting a lot of similar-but-different heroquetss to examine the various variables - who is the antagonist in this station? How does it change between this myth and that? What similarities are there between these myths, and can we extrapolate from them some "common stations" where we can always make the right decision? It's the scientific method applied to mythology. What is alike? What is different? How can we distinguish them?

So once the GLer gets onto the Godplane, he's got a handy pocket guide to the myth in question. It probably has one of those decision tree/flowcharts in it like a Birding book:

"Heroquest 104-7b, Orlanth looks for a Barber"
"Station 3 - The Guarded Passage"
"Are you facing a Darkness Creature? If yes go to page 304. If no, see next
question."
"Are you facing a Fire Creature? If yes, go to page 715. If no, see next question."

RR