Re: The purpose of this list? (was something nothing to do with the actual subject matter)

From: Rick Meints <rjmeints_at_...>
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2007 23:21:05 -0000

Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...> wrote:

> Lastly, it seems that the WoG list isn't about "the
> HeroQuest role-playing game published by Issaries,
> Inc.", unfortunately. It was set up by Greg Stafford,
> for Greg Stafford, and since then he's made it clear
> that what he's discussing on there is some "deep"
> Glorantha, and that the one we're all using, as
> published by Issaries in HQ, Storm Tribe, and so on,
> is just popularised stuff that he has no intention of
> staying compatible with (and quite clearly doesn't).
> (In an off-list email, he also told me that that list
> is for "elite" people, and that certainly isn't me,
> nor anyone I'd want to asociate with.) Which makes it
> rather less use than it might have been... but it's
> his list, if he wants to use it to discuss how his
> Glorantha varies, that's up to him.

Jane,

I'm sorry, you are wrong. Greg did not set up the World of Glorantha Group. I did, as explained both online and in private email to you. The group was also not set up for Greg Stafford. Yes, it is the main group that Greg reads and posts on, but Greg is neither required nor encouraged to be involved in any of the discussions there. Case in point, there are a number of threads that Greg has either not responded to or only been one of many participants in. It is not the Greg Stafford group. Greg is not the owner of the group (I am). Greg is not one of the moderators of the group. Greg is not the most frequent poster. Since you refer to an email from Greg, which I have also seen, let me clarify what was meant by the word "elite". He meant people who contribute by posting their ideas on news groups. It is very obvious that you have taken that to mean something far more negative and hurtful, if not insulting, than originally meant. Just because you use the term "elite" as meaning something very different, doesn't change reality.

As for whether you want to associate with people on that list, I find it odd that most of them are also discussing things here, and if I had to guess, that would be somewhere in the neighborhood of 300 plus people.

In the end, if you don't like the World of Glorantha group, just keep on staying away from it as you have. Bad mouthing it and describing it incorrectly is not the way to go about opposing it. I'm sorry you find some other people's takes on Glorantha, and the way they discuss it, so profoundly unacceptable, but I have grown very tired of you incorrectly characterizing what the World of Glorantha group is all about.

I am more than ready to move on to other discussions.

Rick Meints
Moon Design Publications