Re: Re: The purpose of this list? (was something nothing to do with the actual subject matter)

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2007 01:21:52 +0100 (BST)

??? In what way can that group of people possibly be described as "elite"? All it takes is an internet connection and the ability to write semi-coherent English.

> It is very obvious that you
> have taken that to mean something far more negative
> and
> hurtful, if not insulting, than originally meant.

on a quick dictionary/Google: "A small group of people with a disproportionate amount of public decision-making power" or "a group or class of persons enjoying superior intellectual or social or economic status"

Yes. That's what I understood it to mean. If he meant something entirely different, he needed to write something entirely different, especially when this was a followup to describing the entire published HW/HQ corpus as "popularised" (and therefore not worthy of compatibility).

> As for whether you want to associate with people on
> that list,
> I find it odd that most of them are also discussing
> things
> here, and if I had to guess, that would be somewhere
> in the neighborhood of 300 plus people.

700-odd when the main Glorantha list was still alive. But only two of those seem to regard themselves as a self-appointed "elite" (dictionary definition), or to explicitly state that they see no point in compatibility with the Glorantha that the rest of us are gaming in: but still seem to imagine that the one they describe is in some way the "real" Glorantha. The other 698-odd are fine.

> In the end, if you don't like the World of Glorantha
> group,
> just keep on staying away from it as you have.

Well, as the owner: is it about the Glorantha described in HQ/HW/RQ etc? Or about some strange and incompatible "deep" variant? If it's the former (and isn't going to degenerate again into misogynistic fantasy apparently designed to force women out of the game) then it may be worth taking another look: I might even like it again. But I tried that before :(

http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/