Re: Re: Common religions and concentrating magic

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2007 17:44:04 -0700

>> Because currently you can Concentrate without devoting or becoming a
> shaman.
>> I'd remove the "Concentrate on Theism" or even "Concentrate on the Storm
>> Tribe" and replace it with "Concentrate on <Otherworld being>", which
> in the
>> case of Theism, is not the same as Devoting, as you could still be a
>> "Concentrated Initiate". However, there is no equivalent in Sorcery as
>> it
>> stands, nor in Animism except for Shamans.
>
> This is called Initiation.

Not quite - I envision the following:
(remember, this is how I'd do it itf I re-wrote this part of the rules)

Lay Member (No concentration possible)
Initiate (concentration possible, but only on a single God) Devotee (Concentration Mandatory on a single God)

There's really no reason to be a "Concentrated initiate" rather than a devotee - you'd get the restrictions of a current Devotee (can't have other magic) without the Feats of the Devotee.

I don't think anyone (Player *or* in-Game Character) would tend to do this as a steady thing - it's really just a step up towards Devotion.

> I'd say that just about everyone among the Heortlings engages in worship
> of their local spirit, without having any shamans to intervene. They
> collect berries from that spirit, sacrifice to this one to keep crows
> out of the barley, offer gifts to the creek over there, etc.

The problem is that the rules don't really support this. Basically, the Magic Rules need to be re-written. I'm just commenting on ideas I've had for 'em.

> Me too. I hope the revised HQ for Glorantha will take a different
> presentation than the one I did for the first edition.

This is me, hashing them out :-).

RR