Relationships Was: where's the Scenario?

From: Jeff <jakyer_at_...>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 16:05:39 -0000

That was my example. More can be done, if players want their characters to have an 'in' on the situation.

> 2) I remember lots of scenarios in my Halcyon DnD days that had a
section up
> front that said "How to get the PCs involved" and offered a bunch
of possible
> hooks that made sense, giving some suggestions to the GM, who could
pick one
> that would work with their group (or need only slight modification).

Yep. A game like Shadowrun encourages characters to have a myriad of contacts, many of whom may or may not be connected to the current action in some way.

> I think in many ways, those linear party adventures were easier to
write,
> because one only needed to get the players to the starting line, of
course.

Guilty as charged.

Trader Princes does start with inflicting a pair of relationships on the characters - one to the House and one to what's left of poor old Prince Yorge duDeryi. That is, assuming the players want to be part of at Trader Prince campaign. =)

But that relationship and its growth is a key mechanic of that campaign. Such a hook won't be useful to others - though I think that it is key in any game invovling the Sartarite Rebellion. I believe I use it as a gauge of trust and responsiblity in the Sheep Clouds Thunder arc.

> Personally, I have liked how things like Masters of Luck and Death
> had "scenario ideas" (basically bangs in Forge speak) right in the
book.

Yes, I tried to do something like that in Trader Princes with various relationships and possible situations. However, they may be a bit bland for some. Now that I am looking back at them, and I am surprised to see that many of them resemble old-school Traveller Amber Zone adventures. I am not quite sure how I feel about that.

> I must admit to having been fond of the Seventh Sea scenario
construction
> of "key scenes" with other fun possible scenes stuck in. (Mind you,
the plot
> of those opening three books involved prodding the PCs to move with
a very
> big pointy stick.)

Again, guilty as charged. I drew heavily on 7th Sea and the city of Frieburg for the campaign setup. The key scenes and watersheds are an excellent method of setting up a relatively unrestricted campaign which does have the external world showing up from time to time. Player actions are usually paramount but if there's a major external force (say, an invasion or a Trade War) the players are going to have to react in some fashion.

It's all well and good to spend your time on the beach relaxing but when the invasion hits, suddenly Grenda doesn't seem like such a fun place anymore. Okay, I'm being facetious but I hope that I get my point across.

> I've been thinking of taking the basic Clock of Night and Day
adventure I did
> in my Karse game and try turning it into a scenario in light of
this
> discussion. NPCs with differing motivations had reason to try and
get it -
> allowing the PCs to be dragged in no matter what side they are on.
>
> LC

Yes, that's a good way to plan it. Most players find their relationbships important to their characters - it's that investment thing - and generally act accordingly. Though I have seen one infamous player cut any relationships loose with extreme prejudice the instant it seemed to be any sort of burden but the player did that in any game. He became quite upset when the other players started adopting his spurned 'orphan' relationships (including a wife and child!) and others sought vengance for betrayal.

Just sayin'

Jeff