Re: Re: Introducing new players

From: Raymond Turney <raymond_turney_at_...>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 09:58:31 -0800 (PST)

Hi Greg,

The issue here would seem to be, is he ruining the fun for everyone else? This depends on the assumption that HQ is so superior to the available alternative rules sets that a HQ game is fun and another game is not. This seems doubtful. At most, I''d say with the right group of players, an HQ campaign can be more fun for that group, than a campaign with any other set of rules. This is actually more than the common view in the RPG community allows, since the most common view is that rules are relatively unimportant..

Incidentally, this may provide part of the explanation of why HQ players are seen as "elitist". HQ, by design intent, assumes that story telling is more important than all other aspects of RPGing. Greg, who is the leading spokesman for HQ has just suggested that if a player likes powergaming enough to disrupt a HQ game, you should try to alter his gaming style or maybe even throw him out of the group. This promotes a perception that HQers's consider story telling the only important part of RPGing, and look down on others who enjoy simulation or powergaming.

                                                           Ray,.

Greg Stafford <Greg_at_...> wrote:                               Bryan wrote:

> Is that a particularly pleasant thing to do, well no. Does it make
> him a horrible person that you never want to associate with? Well,
> not necessarily.

 I will simply say that I did not say that either.

> Or to put it another way: is role playing so critical to us that we'd
> abandon a friend just because we didn't particularly like the way they
> played?

 Nor did I say this.

> The moral of all that is that even when people are working in a style
> that they are not crazy about, they can learn to do well with it, and
> even excel as they bring some different insight and experience to it.

 Sure, if they are willing to try it. But why allow one person who is  inflexible to ruin the fun for everyone else?

 --

     Greg Stafford
     President, Issaries. Inc.

 Love without reserve,