Re: HQ 2

From: Chris Lemens <chrislemens_at_...>
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 2009 06:36:50 -0700 (PDT)

adammertes_at_... wrote:

> I think the biggest thing I am anxious to learn about is advancement rules.
>  My players really like to see their characters get better at things and become movers > and shakers in the world (like the D&D model of low power to very high power).

The HeroQuest Core Rules support a characters at any level. If you want your characters to have world-spanning powers, they can. If you want them to be scratching a bare living and struggling just to survive, they can. From a rules perspective, moving around within this continuum is seamless.

But, really, it's all down to good narrating. The rules just get out of your way. Just because your characters' abilities imropve does not mean you have to change your characters' social context. They can stay where they are, because the rules provide for a pass-fail cycle that ensures that they are challenged at the level of their own abilities -- whether that is dirt-scratching or imperial domain. To make the transitions successful, the narrator has to help the players tell the story. For example, how is it that your character goes from being a Sartarite exile enslaved by nomads to the King of Dragon Pass? The answer is not "leveling up."

Chris Lemens