Re: Extended Contests

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Sun, 5 Jul 2009 09:11:25 -0700

LC

> I do like the new extended contests for the most part. I'm tempted to
>find a way to work the bidding back in, because I did like that
>aspect, but doing it in a way that doesn't break the new system seems
>difficult.

While I think you could choose to use bidding instead of the new extended contests, and there's plenty of guidance as to whether to use a simple or extended contest, there was never any obvious way to choose between the two extended contest types, which is a major reason we went with just one.

>1) No longer is there a back and forth of who acts.

In practice, our group tends to take turns describing who acts. That is, in a combat the player describes how his character charges. Everyone rolls. Then the narrator describes how the monster bellows a terrifying roar. Everyone rolls.

>2) No tacitcal augment shifting.

That would be mechanically bad, as you would essentially be able to reroll a failed augment attempt.

To some extend hero point usage may do what you want -- an easy way to describe it is as if you were augmenting with a new ability.

>3) Limited ability to help.
> I'm not sure about this one: You can augment your ally if they
>haven't already had an augment; you can assist, but each time it gets
>harder; you can open up your own exchange with the person, which at
>least should give them a multiple opponent penalty.

FWIW, our group found the assist rules made it EASIER to help in someone else's fight.

>It says on page 42 that "If an opponent attempts
>to disengage from you while you are also engaged by at least one other
>contestant, you suffer a penalty of ?5 when you roll to counter to his
>disengagement."
>I assume that is separate from any multiple opponent issues that may
>apply. (So if you are the first person to go and you try to disengage
>there is a minus 5, but if you let your two friends attack first to
>keep the guy off balance, there is a -11)

That's how I read it.

>I am also surprised at how much I think I like the new Gloranthan
>magic rules, which I was fully prepared to viscerally dislike from the
>snippets I heard.

I was prepared to as well, since I had never before seen a rune-based system I liked.

--

David Dunham