Re: Re: So what do you think of the new rules?

From: L C <lightcastle_at_...>
Date: Sun, 05 Jul 2009 13:34:48 -0400

>Jeff Richard wrote:
>
>That's one of the reasons the character sheet has plenty of space for
Lingering Benefits (and Penalties).

Which is wise. :)

I think this is one of those things that will require getting used to, and it seems to me it is part of a deliberate shift from "interior" to "exterior" play (to make up a nomenclature that is probably inapt.)

Rather than the bonuses coming from the character simply having that ability or passion or piece of equipment, the new system is pushing for someone to *bring it into the story* before the bonus matters. So if I have "Hates Lunars" and I want it to be effective in my final battle, I need to find a way to highlight that as a story element to get that as a bonus - probably by way of lingering benefit or plot augment.

Finding interesting and genre-proper ways of doing that should be interesting.

About the ONLY problem I have with this is that fiction and the conventions of dramatic pacing are full of examples where you only get this bonus *mid-way* through a climactic showdown. Mind you, with the use of lingering benefits and plot augments, I think even that is do-able.

The classic example I am thinking of is the scene where the Villain, with the upper hand, threatens the loved one of the hero or some such, pushing her to extra effort.

Assuming the hero used an augment before the final scene, they can't now call on their "Loves X" trait. However, two options leap out. 1) If "Loves X" is high enough, it could actually replace whatever the other trait being used for the contest. 2) If the player earlier had a dramatic scene involving their love and desire for protecting people, they could well have a lingering benefit floating around to add in this situation.

>I've found in play that these story-related bonuses end up being at
least as important as abilities for may players.

That second is what I mean by the system encourages externalizing these things. Play a scene, and it might come in later.

At least, that's the way I'm reading it.

LC