[HeroQuest 2.0] Need some rules clarifications

From: meatball3059 <meatball3059_at_...>
Date: Sun, 05 Jul 2009 21:22:20 -0000

I asked these question on RPG.net before know of this YahooGroup, sorry.

1- What's the purpose of "Flaws"? I know what a flaw is but rule-wise it seems they are for character/story plot. The player gains no points for having 0, 1, 2, or 3 flaws.

2- If the heroe's abilities ratings start at 17 for one and 13 for the rest, what's a typical denizen's average?

3- On page 10 in the Keywords box is a example: Londoner 15
Know Local Accents +1
Stiff Up Lip +2
Does that translate into:
Londoner 15
Know Local Accents 16
Siff Up Lip 17

Answer I got:
1. Purpose of flaws. Based on how I play it, there is no purpose other than having a well rounded character. Nobody is perfect, so what flaw will make this character interesting? Everybody starts with at lease 1 flaw.
2. Not sure, but I normally put unimportant people at 6 or so. Translates to a 30% chance. 3. Yes.

Then I asked:
Clarification on the 3rd question, please: Londoner 15 = cost 2 points (13+2=15)
Know Local Accents 16 = cost 3 points (13+3=16) Siff Up Lip 17 = cost either 0 for the most important or 4 points (13+4=17) Is that correct?

The answer I got was:
No. That would be the correct cost if they were bought as separate abilities. As Know Local Accents and Stiff Upper Lip are bought under a keyword the cost is like this:

Londoner 15 = cost 2 points (13 + 2 = 15) Know Local Accents +1 = cost 1 point
Stiff Upper Lip +2 = cost 2 points.

So now I ask:
Any ability under a keyword that is related to that keyword is cheaper to buy?