Re: The Race

From: bethexton <bethexton_at_...>
Date: Sat, 07 Nov 2009 16:11:56 -0000

I don't know how well this would work under the HQ2 rules, but what sprung to mind for me was actually a series of simple contests, with "carry over" (or functinal equivalent, you could call it position bonusses).

The first contest might even be pre-race (to psych out the other side, or to stay calm, or whatever). Then a contest against a general difficulty off the start to claim a good position. Have a few other specific spots along the way as fixed/planned contests (the tight corner, the jump, when another competitor tries to illegally run you off the course), but also maybe allow for some player inspired ones?

Then of course, at the end it will be the two of them, that can be effectively narrated, but they'll have various penalties and bonusses from what happened previously as they make their final dash.

Another possibility would be to ditch HQ for the race, if you have an appropriate other game. I recall a key chariot race in an RQ game where the GM pulled out a copy of a board game (circus maximus maybe? I don't remember). He had to make a couple of fudges, but it ended up being a fun way to handle it, because it was designed to handle that environment in detail.

--Bryan