RE: Re: Keywords only, or additional list of abilities?

From: Matthew Cole <matthew.cole_at_...>
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2009 18:16:21 -0000

Hi Neil

I haven't read the conversation you refer to but I'd like to offer a word of advice, having come from RQ and struggled to make the transition to HQ
(through HW and HQ1).

It's simply this: please don't try to play HeroQuest like you played RQ
(assuming you played that in the common mode). This was the biggest thing
that held us back; we didn't even realise for ages (this was in HW days) that what we had was a different game and we cheerfully shoe-horned it into our old ways. It took a long time to realise why it wasn't working.

So, I would save you that pain. Try as hard as you can to follow the way of playing that the designer writes about and if you find something that you think is "the same as RQ" - it's likely you're wrong about that. I know this is a blanket statement and that at least one person here will disagree but trust me - it's a better standpoint than the alternatives.

Something I feel strongly about: why play a new game designed to play in a new way as if you are playing the old one?

I think a really good way of making the transition from RQ would be to throw away everything but the stories you know and the descriptions of the characters and choose characters that would fit well into the kind (broad sweeping strokes definition) of story you want to run.

I hope you find this constructive. If you radically disagree, that's alright by me.

Cheers

Matthew

Neil Hempenstall wrote:

I have played neither HW or HQ1, and after following your discussion I have taken the plunge and gone and bought a copy of HQ2...here goes....After playing Runequest for 30 years i'm rather excitedneil,_._,___