Re: Re: Keywords only, or additional list of abilities?

From: John Machin <trithemius_at_...>
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2009 13:57:53 +1100

2009/12/23 Benedict Adamson yahoo_at_...

> And, FWIW, keyword-like abilities rather than long ability lists seem to
> be the state of the art in narrative RPGs. Evidently a quite a few game
> designers and players believe this is a superior way of doing things.

I think we are at risk of comparing apples and oranges here - many of the situations these games model are very limited (e.g. Contenders) and so the descriptive names for abilities have a strong obvious context to be interpreted in.

> For example, we played 3:16 last night: in that game, each PC has only
> TWO abilities, Fighting Ability and Non-Fighting Ability.

(Another fine Ronnies winner!)

FA and NFA are very clearly explained in unambiguous terms. Keywords like "Riddle of Nysalor' are less easily understood by the uninitiated.

--
John Machin