Re: Re: Using HQ2 for Exalted?

From: L C <lightcastle_at_...>
Date: Thu, 24 Dec 2009 16:58:19 -0500

  andrew.d.scott_at_... wrote:

> The basic premise involves mortals being granted divine power and a
> mandate to rule that comes with it. Different gods grant different
> powers which results in their chosen manifesting their exaltations in
> distinct ways; from the awe-inspiring perfection of Solars, to
> shape-shifting Lunars, to the elementally themed Dragon-Blooded.
>
> Within each exaltation are five (or, in the case of Lunars, three)
> types that correspond to different aspects of the exalting god. Solars
> are divided into castes (Dawn, Zenith, Twilight, Night and Eclipse)
> that emphasise different suites of favoured abilities and supernatural
> powers.

Right. So those seem obvious choices for keywords to start although I don't know the background well enough to know if separating out each type of Exalted and their Caste as separate words makes sense. I personally suspect not.

> At this stage in Creation's history the exalted tend to congregate in
> groups based on their exalting god (or gods).

Solars with Solars, Lunars with Lunars, etc.?

> Both system and setting strongly emphasise the theme of might making
> right, with clear physical and metaphysical hierarchies of power
> supporting that. Even the least of the exalted (the DBs) are
> overwhelmingly superior to mortals in every endeavour they turn their
> attention to, bolstering their already high skill with discrete
> magical effects called Charms. Charms form the foundation of the magic
> system, being narrowly focused effects that simultaneously lend
> massive potency to actions that fall within their purview as well as
> thematic signification of the type of exalt whom deploys them.

Figuring in how Charms get deployed is likely to be the biggest choice you have to make, I suspect. Automatic superiority over mortals is easy to do in HQ2, it just becomes a credibility test. The question becomes whether charms need to be learned separately, or if it makes more sense to do something like "Dawn Solars can do these sorts of things" and let people wing it.

> I'll try and post my initial thoughts on developing a genre pack
> later, but these as the basic assumptions I'm working with. If
> anything's unclear feel free to ask for clarification.
>
> _

Please do. It turns out I have some free downloads and such people sent me to check the system out so I can look at some things so you don't feel you need to explain EVERYTHING from scratch. :-) And I am sure people here can help just by being sounding boards for your thoughts as you go along.

LC