Re: Re: Dungeon Bashing with HQ2?

From: L C <lightcastle_at_...>
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2009 12:13:36 -0500

ian_hammond_cooper wrote:

> The pass/fail cycle is definitely one way to handle this. have a
> bandolier filled with encounters of varying types (obviously that make
> sense for the story) and then throw new 'encounters' of appropriate
> difficulty at the players as the pass/fail cycle prompts. A map is not
> really important, what is important is using the setting during those
> encounters i.e. narrow squeezes, the dusty ancient tomb, chasms,
> crumbling bridges. Those 'features' provide credibility test obstacles
> for abilities or 'furniture' for narration during contests.

That's an interesting approach, and certainly works when story is put first. I can, however, see the appeal of a pre-made map sometimes and I'm likely to use both approaches depending on the story needs.

> Second, look to horror over action movies for better story here.

Agree wholeheartedly.

> We have been too influenced by D&D and first person shooters, to think
> of dungeons in terms of ebbing hit points, lowering magic points, and
> balancing that power ups, magical items etc. Going back to the source
> it is usually a lot more about penetrating an 'alien' realm where you
> are not in charge, but desperately trying to stat alive long enough to
> rescue the hostages before they are sacrificed, find the magic item
> that will save the village etc. In many cases the dungeon is seen as
> overwhelming - there is no hope of beating it, only surviving it.

Indeed. I like a tactical dungeon crawl, but that is its own beast. In literature, the Dungeon is almost always more dreamlike - a series of nasty events you try to survive as it gets you to your final encounter.

> So you definitely want to throw Hard and Very Hard encounters at the
> heroes to keep them on the back foot, and their objectives should be
> more about 'finding a path' than 'clearing out the dungeon'.

Oddly, a lot of the old timed tournament 1st edition D&D dungeons felt more like this. (Although often on rails.) There was a time limit, a clear goal (getting out the other side, finding the princess, rescuing the gem at the top of the tower) and getting through the room was as important if not more important than cleaning it out.

> One thing I'm intrigued by here is to what extent the pass/fail cycle
> is different for horror over action i.e. in the rising action on you
> get a lot more tough encounters but in the climax you get easier
> encounters.

Hmm... That's a good point. I should ask my ex-roommate (serious horror film buff) what she thinks on that.

Actually, the question of "what is the pass fail cycle in various genres and does it deviate from the basic rhythm HQ2 assumes" is an interesting one.

LC