Question about Combat...

From: Howard <green27_at_...>
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2011 17:01:56 -0000

I'm waiting on my HQ2 and have read the preview which told me about how opposed successes work. My question is:

Is combat a (1) "my attack vs the broo's parry" type of contest? (This seems to low-level.)

Or more: (2) "I strike off his head vs I don't" contest - and then he gets to strike back?

or is it: (3) "Do I kill/injure him or he do the say to me"? ie. one result determines the melee?

Now I did a search and a previous post suggested that "extended contests" are sometimes used. I still think (1) is probably not what this means, and (3) is too b&W, but if it's (2) how is it "managed"? Is there an IGOUGO system based on initiative and/or surprise/awareness? Is it my attack vs his defense - with his response being a separate roll off?