Re: Flat Conflicts - Do They Exist?

From: Nick Eden <nick_at_...>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2012 16:59:30 +0100

Perhaps. I think there's a degree of flatness engineered into the system because all contests are the same. In a more traditional system one would have a different approach/mechanism to trying to open the safe before the security guard returns, getting away from the agents of Fu Manchu in a stolen airship or defeating the pirate king and so rescuing the infanta of Castile.
Since all of those involve the same resolution mechanism, and likely all have the same difficulty of 14+int(numberof sessions/2), they can all somewhat similar. It pushes a lot of responsibility onto the GM, which not everyone's going to get at first. People are used to crunchy bits of system giving their games flavour, and with HQ2 especially, that's not there.