Runegate Questions -- for M. Schwarz (or anyone really)

From: epweissengruber_at_...
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2001 14:09:25 -0000

Hey Michael, this is Erik

my email seems to have gone insane, so I am sending my character descriptions this way

If anyone has any comments, chime in

MAIN CHARACTER (and follower)

A young shepherd, Varmainien follows both Helamakt and Ohorlanth. His fits of prophetic inspiration and his uncanny knowledge of Dragon Pass' weather have marked him out as a godspeaker.

Although an easygoing daydreamer, he is renowned for the wisdom of his oft-quoted songs and poems.

His wooden pipes soothe his flocks as well as it calms disputing kinfolk.

After contesting with Lunar sorcerers and Eastern dragon worshipers, he has learnt the telltale signs of their magics, and how to turn the wind's might against them.

Varmainien tends his doting aged parents' flocks, accompanied by his alynx One-Ear.

One-Ear

One-Ear loathes the Lunar soldiers who disfigured him, and is keen to their scent. One-Ear sometimes speaks to Varmainien in dreams. One- s fierce loyalty is inspired by an ancestral spirit.

One-Ear's description is a little long, so I will have to clean it up.

Parents – I will work these out later

EARLY CHARACTER If we are interested in the early history of Dragon Pass, I had an idea for a shaman who played an important role in the clan's exploration of Dragon Pass.

Otakar, Spirit Tracker

With an penetrating gaze, Otakar restlessly scans our world for signs of the spirit world. Raised a hunter, Otakar now guides his family and fellow Pharoh-haters into Kerofinela, discovering ancestral spirits, and repelling their enemies. He leads his clan's sacrificial worship of Dragonbane, a great spirit ally. Otakar hunts deer and bear, but communes with their spirits as well. His bow is charmed, and cannot be drawn by another. His arrows strike like an eagle dropping from the clouds, and he spots prey with the eye of an alynx. He is haunted by dire battles fought in the spirit world.

[veteran of the psychic wars – isn't that a Blue Oyster Cult album?]

Sapling:

Sapling looks like a child's bow. In Otakar's hands it has the strength of yew. It always bends, never breaks. Always green, it cannot burn.

Otakar's family:

25 words – forthcoming.

SPARE CHARCTER This character is based on a Swedish teacher I once had

Huran, the laughing sage.

Huran is an unlikely Gray Sage: a battered veteran warrior of impressive girth, and a former lawspeaker of Andrin [or lawstaf of Jarani, if our clan has been part of a tribe], who late in life devoted himself to learning. His piecing blue eyes see deceit, and his laughter cuts down the arrogant. Well-versed in the history of Dragon Pass, and in the Old Words, Huran is determined to unite the tribes into a kingdom. His allies are his son Gunnar and Siegfried, an old comrade. His collection of millitary histories is renouned, as are his knowledge of Tarshite and Lunar language and history. Slowed by age, Huran keeps his armour bright and his axe sharp.

[a little long]

Gunnar

As an Issaries diplomat and merchant, Gunnar has befriended many chieftans. Lunars trust him, and are unaware of the political purpose of his many journeys.

Siegried

The weaponthanes fear and admire this grizzled Vingkoti warband leader. His hoarse voice and sarcasm mask his generous nature. His oaken spear has never broken.