Moonboats

From: simonbrayuk_at_...
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 08:36:10 EDT

Hi Guys,

 I have a little info on Moonboats from my Hero Wars/Freeform game that I ran last year. However, this is mainly in the form of a Campaign Cartographer 2 deck plan, which I can't submit to the website - I haven't got time to dig out the file, but I promise I will do after Tentacles. However just to give you a little backgroung the game was run very freeform style - the setting was a Moonboat, heading south with important passengers, troops and secrets heading for the Temple of the Reaching Moon construction site in Sartar. The crew and passengers were a very strange lot (they were played by Tom Zunder, Danny Bourne, Pete Nash, Lawrence Whittaker and others of similar mindset). Just to say that the game ended with the moonboat crashing (ever so slowly) into a hill side when the Reaching Moon Temple failed to come on line, on a Black Moon day and the ships moonbeam relays overloaded - the crew and passenger (that weren't murdered by the Missionary and Eel-Ariash clan assasin) are now surrounded by Kallyr Starbrows forces - In a zulu style standoff. BTW I do think these boats are capable of carrying substantial forces - there were about 400 people on MY moonboat including passenger to military units and the ships crew and marines

 The crew included captain Giaus Tekirk

 Originally hailing from the slums of Haranshold, Tekirk is a strange creature. Once a simple boatwright, his skill and devotion eventuallylead him into the inner secrets of the Yestendos cult, where he learned the power of moon reeds and the manufacture of Moon Boats. Although human, his prolonged exposure to moonrock and moonrays have left him warped, his skin is pallid and he appearsmuch younger than his 57 years. Tekirk has travelled much more than many Imperials and he has gained a very dour attitude to the world, he is never impressed, and always has a tale to out do any speaker, boaster or bard.

Here is my version of the Vargar Sky Mariner Key Words, based on Wesley Quadros' version on his excellent web site.
Entry Requirements: Must be a blood descendant of a Vargari devotee anda cultist of Yestendos. Must swear an oath before the Masters of the Cult notto ever reveal any cult secret to an outsider. Must show proficiency at and knowledge of moonboats and their operations. Physical Skills: Tie Knots, Balance, Repair Moonboat, Sail Moonboat,Shout Orders.
Mental Skills: Navigate, Know Moon Phase, Captain Moonboat, Mythology ofVargar.
Virtues: Secretive.
Affinities: Moon Boat (Locate Moonbeam, Attune Moonboat to Moonbeam, Control Moonboat Altitude, Sail the Crimson Tide) Secret: Moon Boat Building Ritual – The secret techniques that allows a Vargar shipwright to build the magical flying Moon Boats. Worshippers: Moon Boat shipwrights, captains and crew. SeveralThousand. Other Side: For his feats Vargar was apotheosised and still resides upon the moon in his floating moon-reed palace on the Occluded Sea. Other Connections: Vargar is a sub-cult of Yestendos. Imperial patronage. Founding temple on the moon.
Disadvantages Vargar’s magic is cyclical like all Lunar Cults.

Cheers Simon Bray