Re: essense trees of Aldrya

From: bethexton_at_...
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 20:55:13 -0000

Perhaps I mis-understood your previous information in "the world is everything." I thought that in the sorcerous parts of the world the underlying otherworld with which most things were associated was sorcerous. Therefore no dryads, but rather forest essences. Trees would have tree essences, etc. I would think that elves living in this sort of forest, knowing only theistic/spiritual magic would be facing a major challenge. The obvious answers are either that

  1. I totally mis-understood your previous information--tree essences, don't be silly!
  2. The elf woods contain spirits, not essences, that is why they are elf woods and the elves can hold them against the humans.
  3. There are "sub-cults" of elves in the west who have magic that lets them deal with essences effectively.

--Bryan