RE: Re: question of gifts

From: Grawe, Philipp <pgrawe_at_...>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 13:22:56 +1000

> From: Jeff [mailto:jeff.kyer_at_...]
> I think that he might be talking about stacking identical gifts? You
> know, +5 sword and shield several times. I think that the way its
> worded is that you're only allowed one gift of a kind. You can take 3
> (for example) weapon restriction geases but the gifts are +5
> Sword, +5
> Sword and Shield, +5 Dagger, etc etc. Not +15 Sword and Shield.

There was something on the Glorantha site - the errata(?), the frequently asked questions(?), perhaps a note way back from Roderick - that suggested that everytime you take the +5 to a particular weapon it gets a _lot_ more restrictive.

So:
Taking +5 to sword the first time means you take the Geas "Never use a particular type of weapon" (or whatever the exact wording is). Fine, you swear never to use a spear of any type.

Taking the same gift again would give you +10 to sword. You couldn't just swear never to use an axe this time, the geas would increase by an order of magnitude to "Use no non-cult weapons at all" (for example).

Taking it a third time would give you +15 to sword, but might limit you to only using a bastard sword or a dagger.

Then again, I'd say that taking +5 to Dagger when you take the gift for the second time wouldn't make the geas a lot more restrictive.

Harry.