Re: building headcount

From: Peter Larsen <plarsen_at_...>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 15:34:52 -0500

Jeff Kyer says:

>True enough. But gathering up refugees and the like as time passes and
>as the nascent clan gathers in the shattered remains of other clans and
>tribes is a steady increase. As I recall, there are a LOT of refugees
>out there on the roads of Sartar and more to come.

        It strikes me that there's a "Stone Soup" story in here somewhere. A band of ragged refuges huddles around a fire. Suspicion and mistrust have brought them to the edge of armed attack. Then a wandering Goldentongue shows up and says that he can make them a clan. What do you mean says the suspicious group. I have here sez the Goldentongue the magical Clan Making Chair. What say the people. The magical Clan Making Chair, and I'll offer it to you, free, if you try to make a clan. Hey, sez one big guy what do you get out of it Issarion. I get a new clan to trade with, so there. So they all gather around the chair, and the first guy says I have some seed, and I could share it out... The Big guy says, I'm pretty good with a spear, I'll help with defense. A woman admits that she has a pot with embers from her hearth fire, and another guy says he's good with wood and still has his tools. Soon they have a plan to get a long house up, and how they can get enough food to weather the winter, and other refuges start showing up with their tools and skills, and it's pretty hard, but they all pull together, and pretty soon things are looking better. And that is where the clan came from. The Goldentongue? He never came back, but the traders did. And we still have the chair.

Peter Larsen