(no subject)

From: jubjub_at_...
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 00:16:55 -0000

Hey there all. I had posted about the Doom Rune on the hw-rules group a week or more back. Since the discussion isn't about rules, this is a more apt location.

History: I was playing in a campaign where the GM asked us to write up a series of different brief cult/groups, in as much or little detail as we liked.

I started looking at some of the odd runes referenced in different places and... <now on to my original post>

In searching Glorantha resources I've run across a single reference to the Doom rune. The rune itself is the inverse of the Luck rune. The two together form the Destiny/Fate rune.

What are thoughts about a valued Orlanthi cult whose god is tied into Doom? Doom can be malignant fate, but its roots go back to unavoidable fate, which while often bad is not exclusively so. It also goes back to judgements or pronouncements. So here are some thoughts of how the Orlanthi might incorporate a doom caller, a doom bringer, or a similar figure. Give some opinions or alternatives.

Protector of traditional ways:

   Those who stray suffer a Doom.
   Judging, Protector of Orlanthi ways.

Never invade Russia in late fall:

   Doom to invaders
   Harsh winter, but favors its own
   Image of the god: Tenacious, crotchety old thane who is tolerated because he my be difficult, but he does a good job killing foes.

Wild hunter archetype:

   Not so positive, but easy to flesh out. Standard vision of doom.

Doom announcing Death:

   Sub-cult to Humakt
   Hero, where he goes Death follows. May be a herald of Humakt. Trumpeter.

Anyway, what are people's thoughts, and other possible cults? Any of these sound interesting to flesh out?