Re: Re: spirits

From: Greg Stafford <Greg_at_...>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 12:57:40 -0700

At 12:40 PM 6/18/2001 +0100, you wrote:
>> From: bjm10_at_...
>>How many Sartarites walk around pointing out the intensely academic
>>and fine-pointed distinction between "spirit" and "daimonine"? I'd
>>say that Joe Sartarite uses whatever word means "spirit" for both of
>>them.

Likely to be true for "most Sartarites." After all, they have other business to attend to, and they leave the precise details of the Other Side up to the experts.

>Certainly, in my game. They are aware that some "spirits" are alien or
>foreign, but even most godi have only a tentative grasp of the technical
>terms.

I don't think so, insofar as the godi are concerned. I think that this is similar to saying that most mechanics only have a tentative grasp of the difference between electical engines, diesel engines and gasoline powered engines. They may not be able to fix all them, but at least they would be able to say, "This is one I know about, this is similar to what Iknow about, and this one is very different." a godar, in the same circumstances, would be able to say, "This is a daimon that is one of mine, this is a daimon that is of a different pantheon, and that is a spirit form another world." Any of them that has been properly trained would know that other worlds exist, that the creatures from there are different in substance.
See, we are hampered in our experience by the presumption that spirit and god are words along a spectrum of "Otherworld entities." The experience and knowledge in Glorantha is different.

Greg Stafford, greg_at_...
Issaries, Inc. 900 Murmansk St., Suite 5; Oakland, CA 94607 Phone: (510) 452 1648 Fax: (510) 302 0385 Publisher of Hero Wars, Roleplaying in Glorantha See our site at: <www.glorantha.com>