Re: Odayla - was Ring composition

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2001 09:47:54 -0400

John Hughes wrote:

> My own clan has a considerable number of Odaylans spread through
> upland
> hunting camps. At least I thought they were Odaylan, though by the
> writeup
> it seems most of them must be Ormalayons. Solitary wilderness walkers
> who
> disappear for seasons at a time won't be very common as PCs, and have
> little
> use for social structures beyond the family, if they marry at all.

Unless you use the 'mountain men' of the US and other places as examples. Odayla could be viewed quite literally as a 'grizzley Adams' =) This would be much more true in wilder places like Maniria, Talastar and Ralios than the more closely confined lands of the Heortlings.

But yes, I've toned down the wanderlust of the Odaylans for my game. Afteall 2 of my seven players are Odaylans. And two of the the other are Yinkini (okay, one's an alynx) so the group does tend to wander around a fair bit. I suspect that had the group been formed post-Thunder Rebels or Storm Tribe, I'd have a much different grouping on my hands.

> their worldview (which I've previously explored in some detail on the
> Digest) would be so different from most of the clan that I can't see
> them
> being very useful as a Ring member.

(Good points about Hunting strategies deleted)

> Any Odaylan Ring member would be an elder, probably crippled or too
> old to
> hunt effectively, and wouldn't be making continual long trips in the
> gors.
> In the circumstances, Ormalayon or even Velhara cultists would be much
> more
> likely to take the Ring positions.

The latter seems more likely. Odaylans seem to have a habit of doing the 'I'm just going outside, I might be some time' thing when they get too old and feeble.

> For any clan with lots of hunters though, have a regular night for
> your
> moots.
>
> John

Come for the beer. But stay for the voting.

Jeff

--
Jeffrey Kyer
BESI Interim Change Management (EP) / Consultant