Re: Heortling games

From: Dave Bell <bellplace_at_...>
Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2001 13:21:13 -0000

Has anyone considered the viking boardgame Hrefnatafl, another fox- -geese type game in which a king has to be safely moved to the edge of the board while the numerically superior opposition try to trap him. An excellent example of a game ludicrously easy to learn but which keeps getting tactically harder as you study it.

On the subject of live-action games, I've submitted a piece for an orlanthi game that could be played out with HW rules or as a liveaction  game as part of the Pavis County material for the next P&BR Companion, though I haven't heard whether it'll be used. It essentially involves bouncing and catching a ball thrown through a large air rune painted on the ground. I can imagine a lot of heortling rough-and-tumble though RW players might need to make it non-contact!

Maybe Ian or someone can let us know how things are progressing. If the material isn't to be used I could perhaps stick it in the file section here.

Dave Bell