Re: Re: Heortling games

From: Peter Larsen <plarsen_at_...>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 17:07:55 -0500

melstra_at_... says:

>That's really about how I pictured
>it, as well. Mancala was one of the first that sprang to mind-- it
>has its genesis in seed sowing, so it's perfect. Then again, you
>could also have a blast with changing some more modern board games
>like Careers and Monopoly into Gloranthan versions.

        Hmm. I think that Careers and Monopoly are a little sophisticated for Heortlings (who can't read), but I can imagine myself buying something like that....

        I think that Heortling games are going to be limited by rules text (no literacy) and physical culture (if it can'be be made relatively easily out of wood, stone, leather, or bone, it won't be common). So rules can't be too complex, although the strategy can be very complicated (look at Go).

        Other games that might make good models are Pente (place five stones in a row on a 19 x 19 grid), Othello (black/white pieces that are flipped if surrounded correctly), and any number of card games (I can see a bunch of sulen old Heortling men playing Sheepshead...), although cards might be beyond them (painted leather? wood? games that use less than 52 cards might have an advantage here).

Peter Larsen