Re: Heortling boardgames

From: Roland <rmv1_at_...>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 11:30:30 -0000

Simon Hibbs:
> Heroquesting is a sacred ritual that calls the forces of the
> otherworld to manifest. Do you realy want that to happen while
> you're playing a game with your friends? I think losing a game
> in which you are playing Orlanth is more bad luck than anyone
> wants.

In the Barbarian Belt (and elsewhere, for that matter) farming, getting drunk, winning the regard of a maiden, clearing forests, drawing and writing, and playing pranks on people are all actions that call upon mythic forces. It is impossible in Glorantha to perform any action that will *definitely not* have any mythic or ritualistic resonance. It is even expected: by farming in the manner of Orlanthcarl, Durev, or Barntar, a farmer expects to reap a better bounty; actually, a better thing to say is, if the farmer *didn't* farm in the traditional way, he would expect a *poorer* return.

In such an environment, casual pastimes of all sorts can take on sacred, ritualistic overtones. It is inescapable. But that doesn't necessarily mean that the activity doesn't take place. I prefer the image of Orlanthi children playing "Brothers Battle" in the field; what do they play in your Glorantha?

> Sacred games do of course play a part in some rituals, but
> I believe that is different.

I will agree that sacred games could play an integral role in some rituals. But I would only expect to see that in the rituals of certain gods, such as Eurmal, Urox (drinking games), Redalda and Elmal (horse racing), and the Thunder Brothers (athletic pastimes).