LightBringers Quest

From: morganconrad_at_...
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 16:59:57 -0000

Peter writes:

>The Lightbringer quest has always been about making peace
>with Yelm. Ernalda's disappearance was what provoked Orlanth
>to start the quest.

Agree with first sentence. But the constant references in the new HQ books to the "evil emperor" make it clear that he failed. :-)

And the new twist that Orlanth didn't seem to care about making peace till Ernalda disappeared shoots down my former admiration of Orlanth as the wised-up, reformed penitent, taking responsibility for his mistakes. A cynic (like me) would say that Orlanth "made peace" with his fingers crossed behind his back just to get his wife back, then promptly returned to the old status of emnity towards Yelm. Nothing heroic there.

IMO, many of the newer published Orlanthi myths really paint him in a bad light. The myth of how he got Humakt on his side is one - the moral is to treat your potential compatriots as badly as possible until they fight, (oh yeah, some of your followers die off, Orlanth followers fall like Star Trek security officers) then treat them one level less badly.