Re: LightBringers Quest

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 17:00:28 -0400

morganconrad_at_... wrote:

> Greg writes:
>
> >Orlanth has a hundred reasons to go.
>
> (lots of neat reasons deleted)
>
> My complaint is that all of these neat, wonderful, often admirable
> reasons are excluded by the statements in Storm Tribe that he went to
> rescue Ernalda.

Um, gee, I find a quite a few other reasons mentioned. Particularly when other gods are involved. (Sure, I'll help you find your wife. Come with us! Sure, we'll find the Wound. Join us!) And, when its all said and done, it Thunder Rebels/Storm Tribe are written from the Point of View of the Heortlings. From within the box, as it were. Not from a detached anthropologist's or God Learner's dispassionate viewpoint.

> re: Finger Crossing
> >The cosmic and mythical apparatus at work here doesn't indicate (or
> >even allow) such deceit to exist
>
> There are many many myths where Orlanth tricked/seduced people and is
> admired for it. Frankly, that seems to be his standard approach!
> Why is this myth special?

Earlier myths. perhaps he's learned and grown and become more enlightened? remember, the Lightbringer's Myth is the LAST myth of the Old Gods.

The Lightbringer's Quest draws _everything_ together into a synthesis. At that point, its more of a matter of lying to yourself.

> Maybe Orlanth went to make genuine peace, but, it could have been a
> trick, and the peace sure didn't last very long...

That's the fault of the mortals... afterall, it lasted for centuries during the Dawn Age.

Jeff