Re: LightBringers Quest

From: Greg Stafford <Greg_at_...>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 14:26:18 -0700

At 08:32 PM 10/10/2001 -0000, you wrote:
>Greg writes:
>
>>Orlanth has a hundred reasons to go.
>(lots of neat reasons deleted)
>
>My complaint is that all of these neat, wonderful, often admirable
>reasons are excluded by the statements in Storm Tribe that he went to
>rescue Ernalda.

That is an editorial complaint.

>re: Finger Crossing
>>The cosmic and mythical apparatus at work here doesn't indicate (or
>>even allow) such deceit to exist
>
>There are many many myths where Orlanth tricked/seduced people and is
>admired for it.

Yes, this is so. But it is also so for most deities when defending their people against outsiders.

>Frankly, that seems to be his standard approach!
I would not agree to this.

>Why is this myth special?

Because it is the one that you are focussing on. See, in HQ terms this is the particular angle that causes the "fault in the universe" that attracts or motivates you.

>Maybe Orlanth went to make genuine peace, but, it could have been a
>trick, and the peace sure didn't last very long...
This is in fact the perspective of Eurmal, of course. You are looking here at Orlanth the Trickster. In Glorantha your persona, your Hero, is welcome to have this perspective. As Narrator you are welcome to make it a universal truth. Does it enhance the story? go for it!

>Greg, I really don't see how my interp breaks anything. Obviously
>you know more, just what would this break?
As a myth, it has legitimacy. But you have to understand that it's only one of a myriad of things that contribute to understanding Orlanth.

here's the origin of my comments:
Orlanth did fulfill his right/wrong obligations, as did Yelm and the myriad of other entities that survived the Great Darkness. The apparant "breaking the rules" by Orlanth is an interpretation of the effect. The fact is that we mere mortals find it difficult to understand how both Yelm and Orlanth are both rulers of the universe.

Greg Stafford, greg_at_...
Issaries, Inc. 900 Murmansk St., Suite 5; Oakland, CA 94607 Phone: (510) 452 1648 Fax: (510) 302 0385 Publisher of Hero Wars, Roleplaying in Glorantha See our site at: <www.glorantha.com>