Re: sedentary priests

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 10:38:22 -0400

Benedict Adamson wrote:

> gamartin_at_... wrote:
> > does anyone have any thoughts on ways to make
> > [sedantry priests who spend most of their time chanting, etc.]
> interesting (although that does not mean to
> > imply "adventure-capable").
>
> Don't do the boring bits! A typical heortling will spend most of
> their time herding and farming. Yet most Heortling clan episodes are
> about cattle raids, legal cases and so on.

Very true - skipping over to the fun bits can't be stressed enough. No point in playing the Orlanthi equivalent of 'Papers and Paycheques.' Indidentally, a temple hugging god-talker is called "Priest." They don't lead wonderfully active lives in many cases. More active god-talkers are 'God-Talker' and some other professional skill. They get out more, I suspect.

> Episodes might deal with political intrigue. The setting of 'The Name
> of the Rose' is more or less the one you describe, and there is an
> obvious episode (or even story arc) there.

Very good for a Lankor Mhy/IO/Buserian cultist to have fun. Of course there's also murder, secret apostacy, infiltration, rival cults and going out to do rituals for people who just don't deserve it. Participating in the coronation of someone like King Blackmor might be a good test of morality for a priestly PC.

Jeff