Re: Re: Stories & Storytelling

From: Nick_at_...
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 16:05:16 +0100 (BST)

Kevin wrote:

> The sort of storytelling I mean may sound worse, but might prove better
> - it requires you to learn enough of the bones of the story to tell, and
> then tell it from memory.

As organiser of many Gloranthan Storytelling events at conventions past, I can't second this fervently enough. If your story isn't memorable enough for the *author* to recite without notes, how do you hope to have any impact on the audience? If it has confusing names or concepts or structures, excise them! Cut'em out, revise them, rework them -- you'll be doing yourself a favour. *Don't* read from notes, and *rehearse* so you know you aren't going on too long. (It's amazing how long a "ten-minute" story can take, if the teller hasn't checked).

> It's easier than it sounds

Very true.

Cheers, Nick