Re: Re: Hiding Annilla in plain sight

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 16:05:43 +1300

At 13:29 25/10/01 +0000, you wrote:

> > ANNILLA: I don't think she's worshipped among the Heortlings.

>Right. I didn't mean to suggest it. But I can imagine a couple of cool
>situations where a Blue Moonie would want to keep at it while being stuck
>in some podunk tula:
>
>Undercover Secret Agent. "I come from a distant clan to the north who were
>disbanded by the imperials. I have notable skill at arms and can prove it
>if you wish. Does your clan need more weaponthanes?" Of course, on the
>inside, this is a deep agent sent to spy and await orders to strike.

Blue Moonies are hardly the stuff that weaponthanes are made of. It also attracts too much attention to them which is kindof antithetical to their principles. They could easily spy by being a humble stickpicker (Apple Lane has a trollkin and nobody knows or cares much about him).

>And as far as the Krarsht thing goes, your contention that it appeals to
>mercantile princes and down-and-outs makes sense, but remember that my
>first contention was that it is Very Useful both as a game plot and to the
>Krarshti if they can get members into positions of religious power.

Yeah, but they can't AFAIK. For them to be in positions of religious power exposes them to the gaze of the gods they supposedly represent and Krarsht has no known background of magically masking her servant's allegiances. That's why they prefer secular means of advancement - rule by bribery and coercion is far easier with Krarsht's magics than it is to fake worship for a lawful deity.

>Also, won't most mercantile powers be members of Issaries or some trader
>cult? In fact, they'd usually be important members.

Issaries is not the only god of trade around and many traders do worship strange gods (Lokarnos, Argan Argar, Etyries etc).

>It just seems ironic to me that "unsophisticated" Sartarite culture
>could be more or less immune to the subtler powers of evil.

That's because the subtler evils presented in Cults of Terror are those that work best in urbanized communities. Heortlings have their own subtle evils to trouble them.

--Peter Metcalfe