Re: Invisible God, Arkat, Illumination

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_at_...>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 07:15:33 +0100

Morgan asks:

> Ralios is full of competing fun heresies, and since the Invisible God
> hasn't revealed many of them as frauds, why is he different?

Because He moves in a mysterious way? Malkioni and Heortlings alike will happily tell you that the Invisible God is *very* different to the Heortling gods. Don't expect to encounter Him on heroquests (with His omnipotent, omnipresent and omniscient abilities rated at 10w10), either...

> When Arkat was in a cult, was he "really" in that cult, a true
> believer, convincing to himself and the God, or was he really
> thinking "I'll try this and if it fails I'll jump ship and become
> a Troll?" The former seems a bit of a stretch to me, the latter
> more realistic.

The former is nearer the Gloranthan truth, however: Arkat was a highly adaptable fanatic. (The latter is more the Nysalor Dark Side / God Learner cynical manipulative approach, which the Arkati Cult condemned outright. OTOH, in your Glorantha you could easily say this was the Arkat cult hypocritically prohibiting the behaviour that got their God where he is today, so no need to make any changes).

> Where does Illumination fit in? Would an Illuminated Annillan or
> Cacodemon be revealed if he pretended to worship Orlanth?

Very likely not. Illumination cocks up divine attempts to detect sincerity, guilt, and the like. But it hasn't been formally defined in HW rules yet, while the last RQ iteration (in "Dorastor") made it less a package deal and more a menu of possible powers (i.e. you can't assume that *every* Illuminate can get away with everything you've ever known *any* Illuminate to get away with). See www.etyries.com/moonie/illumination.htm for Peter Metcalfe's excellent take on how it might work, although this does not specifically address your question.

Cheers, Nick