Re: Followers, what have you got ?

From: Wulf Corbett <wulfc_at_...>
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2001 19:48:29 +0000

On Wed, 05 Dec 2001 12:28:52 +0000, Benedict Adamson <badamson_at_....com> wrote:

>Reading through the replies, we seem to have three styles for
>choosing followers.

There is a fourth possibility, not immediately evident from base ability names, that the followers are chosen first for WHO they are, then assigned suitable abilities. Most of my characters and their followers were originally characters in our RQ campaign (I created over 40 RQ characters, not many of whom ever saw much play), and abilities were selected from the old character sheets. While I can't recount all the followers of our group, here's mine.

NOTES: We allow tertiary follower abilities, at -16 ability. Any number can be bought, but they are always for 'colour' only. Frequently one or two followers accompany a character, while others stay behind to look after the mundane duties. Also, note that my naming conventions do not follow accepted Gloranthan styles :-)

Axa: Vingan Devotee, Warband Leader (best ability 19W) Followers:

        Swordthane: Yvonne, her second, who usually gets left in the Tula while Axa goes adventuring
Abilities: Vingan Devotee, Brave

        Spearthane: Maya, a Telmori girl, given as hostage to keep her safe, and guarantee the good conduct of her family on the Tula. Now Axa's closest friend and confidant.

Abilities: Warrior, Wolfrunning, (tracking)
	Warhorse: Thunder
Abilities: Warhorse, Obey Spoken Commands

Illian Ieya: Ernaldan Devotee (best ability still 5W) Followers:

        Erica: her daughter, newly Initiated, who disapproves greatly of her mother's habits (and would be outraged if she understood her abilities were based on her mother's Seduce 5W). She's becoming the outdoors, athletic type her mother never was. Abilities: Overdruva Initiate, Embroidery, (Archery, Fit)

        The Guardian: an earth Daimone of some sort, a Rock Spirit with the spark of consciousness, who appears when needed Abilities: Rock Spirit (currently has equal abilities Hurt People & Hard), Assume Manform

Delian: A Yinkini who's just undergone a massive personality refit since I met her at a Live RolePlaying weekend :-) (best ability still 5W)
Followers: None currently, but she does have a deeply suspicious sword she often chats to. I'm pleased to say I have no idea whatsoever what it is, or can do...

Fanchon: Serdrodosa/Firshalla Spirit Talker, a nasty piece of work, and the most powerful character around, probably. Currently little used until I get the full 2nd edition Animist rules! (best ability 19W)
Followers:

        Dorian (nicknamed Wolf): her brother. Little used as a follower, but one of very few she trusts. Abilities: Merchant, Redsmith, (Destor initiate)

        Hedara: apprentice, twin sister of Cacile, the more martial of the two, loyal to Fanchon after she saved her sister. Abilities: Warrior, Spirit Combat

        Cacile: apprentice, twin sister of Hedara, rescued from the Spirit World at a thin spot by Fanchon. The more magically adept sister.
Abilities: Spirit Talker, First Aid, (cooking)

        Arabella: A freed Mad Head Ghost (from the original White Dwarf scenario reprinted in Shadows on the Borderland as 'A Tale to Tell') who has remained to atone for her conduct while bound. She is approaching sanity.
Abilities: Chalana Arroy Devotee, Ghostly Presence, (Act Sanely)

        The Wraith: The immortal remnant of a raider who fell foul of the Empire while extending a raid into Tarsh. He remembers only the pain of his death by impalement, and the family he risked all, and lost, to feed. So long as Fanchon helps them, he helps her. (Original idea from the novels 'Firedance' and 'Drink the Fire from the Flames' by Scott Baker)
Abilities: Passion Ghost of Pain, Loyal to Family

I also have a Uroxi Devotee Minotaur, but, like Godzilla, he's treated more as a force of nature than a living being :-)

Wulf