Re: Any Norwegians here?

From: juharat <jualra_at_...>
Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2001 15:34:50 -0000

> The Finns *have* made at least two attempts to film portions of
> Kalevala. The first, "Sampo" was made in the late 50s.

This is actually a collaboration of Finns & Soviets and quite a comical one, too. Not to mention awkward and pompous (from what I've read about it, haven't seen).

> A more recent television dramatisation called "Age of Iron" has
> been shown here in Oz on SBS, and is worth looking out for in case
> it shows up again.

This is based on a book called Rauta-aika by Finnish poet Paavo Haavikko, who has done other works based on Kalevala too. The books are excellent and I would definitely recommend them but I don't know if Rauta-aika (Age of Iron) has ever been translated in English.

>From what I remember, the tv-series was quite low budget but
atmospheric. Lots of sullen people who don't say a thing - very Finnish...:)

--Juha Ratilainen