Re: Lunar Succession Questions

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 20:11:31 +1300

Morgan Conrad:

>If the Red Emperor dies, they find a new one, his new incarnation,
>right? What is the process and how long does it take?

The shortest time is seven weeks (when Harrek slew the Red Emperor not so long ago) while the longest is fourteen years (when Sheng Seleris was running around). Evidently it depends on the state of health of the Empire at the time.

As for the process by which Moonson is found, I think the leading Lunar Houses of the Empire prepare their best champion for a magical contest to select the next body ("shape part" in Lunar terms) of Moonson - they put a lot of effort into this for they hope to gain Moonson's favour. The winner is transformed by the Emperor's Transcendent portion into the Emperor - to think of the winner as the new Moonson is wrong, to think of Moonson as inhabiting the winner's body is also wrong.

Once Moonson has been found, he then undergoes the Ten Tests to become Emperor of Dara Happa and any number of rites for other positions (such as Shah of Carmania).

>Who rules in the meantime?

The Red Emperor still rules through his appointed officials. Any decisions that require an answer from him will just have to wait. Alternatively his officials can try and stretch their authority to resolve the issue. But since this is how the Empire operates under the current Emperor, nobody will notice the difference.

--Peter Metcalfe