Re: Names

From: John Hughes <nysalor_at_...>
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2002 00:37:20 -0800

I use such rollicking OT names for my Yelmalian mercenaries - Honarius Fly-From-Fornication pops up from time to time.

I was reading an essay this morning on Sappho, great lyric poetess. Her husband's name is recorded by later sources as Kerkylas of Andros. This accepted straightforwardly by generations of scholars, until it was pointed out that the name is a joke: its the Greek equivalent of Dick Allcock from the Isle of MAN.

There's an excellent cross-cultural Onomastikon (dictionary of names) at

http://www.flick.com/onomastikon/

that includes sources from many cultures in the ancient and medieval world.

John